August 4, 2010

World Breastfeeding Week 1-7 August 2010



I knew it was a good sign when Little One arrived in the first week of August two years ago and it coincided with World Breastfeeding Week :). After struggling to successfully breastfeed my first born, I stopped after only 2-and-a-half months. I still feel guilty about it, especially in light of what I know now about all the awesome benefits of breastfeeding. This decision could so easily have been averted if I had only been more prepared, had better support and had the right amount of determination. I fortunately had all of these the second time around and am still breastfeeding Little One! (I recently started the weaning process, but have a way to go.)

I was thrilled to be asked by my friend Grietjie over at Joyful Mama's Place to contribute to her week of posts about breastfeeding. If you would like to read my guest post about the advantages of breastfeeding, you can pop over to Joyful Mama's Place and read it here. 

Breastfeeding really is "best" feeding and the more information you have at hand, the better equipped you are to weather the inevitable wobbles. I would like to mention that I am forever grateful for the assistance I received from the La Leche League, a phenomenal organisation and in particular, Trudy, my wonderful lactation consultant and friend. Thank you Trudy!

To get in touch with a La Leche League group or consultant here locally in South Africa, visit http://www.llli.org/SouthAfrica.html

If you are an international reader and would like more information, visit http://www.llli.org/

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...